Thursday, January 20, 2005

Doubt creeps in ...

It must happen slowly and while I'm not paying attention, because suddenly one day, I'll wonder what in the world am I doing? Writing a book? Yeah, right. I'd better get a real job, or go back to my previous one, because this just isn't going to pan out.

Then, I visit a bookstore, flip through a few pages of a random title, or even one that's been recommended and right there in front of me is junk. Something I could easily do better -- and I realize its not ability or desire that's keeping me back. It's fear. Plain old fear. The same fear that has held me from achieving my goals in other vocations.

This time, though, I'm determined to conquer it. With God's help, personal perserverance and time, I will succeed.

Just keep writing. Just keep writing. Just keep writing...

1 comment:

Julie said...

Listen, don't let fear hold you back. What is the absolute WORST that could happen to you if you tried to write professionally? You could get rejected. Well, even the best writers get rejected. I got a ton of rejections before I finally got a bite.
Believe it or not, blogging is a great start.
I got my book deal partly because I had a blog.

Next to my salvation itself, I consider my writing career my greatest testimony of God's work in my life, but that would take more space than you have in your comments!! :-)